More than Church and Morals

Saturday, May 06, 2006

I'm falling harder than the first time

So, I go through all this trouble looking at cars and test driving them, and then all the troubles of getting the price as low as it would go, and I get home, and while everyone continues raving about it, all I want to do is go and spend time with the God and Father who finally allowed me to get the perfect car. I realized all the more that it's just a car. And something I read in the Bible during that time I escaped made me think, "What if I die in the next few days, or even tonight? Is the car really important? What really matters?" It sounds depressing, I know, but that's not how I was thinking about it. I mean, it was weird to think about it, but I had to face it and know that I was ok with it if that's how God decided to let things come about. He's the most important thing in my life, and, just like in every human relationship, it's easy to forget when they're always around. Today I started feeling a love for God and His love for me in such a different way -- a way I'd only noticed through reading the Bible, but could never really see it for real. It's like having a husband and thinking you really want him to get you something and then you'd know he really loves you. And then he gets it for you and surprises you with it, and you realize that whatever it is isn't what you really want, but that he is, and he's been trying to get you to see that. God loves us like a father (Matt. 7:11), He loves us like a friend (just see how He interacts with His disciples and others He was close to), and He loves us like a spouse (Isaiah 54:5). That's the one we miss the most. It's strange to us to think of Him in that way. Why? Well, what kind of relationship do you have with a spouse? The kind where you pass in the hall and trade a quick, "Hi, how are you?" "Pretty good, you?" "Same here."? No, it's a much more intimate relationship. A relationship in which you know someone like you've never known anyone else. Think about that. Imagine having that kind of relationship with Someone who often seems farther away than another galaxy. Someone we know as God, who often don't treat or respect as God -- in fact think He owes us something. Imagine learning to love Him like we hope to one day, or do love someone else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home