More than Church and Morals

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Reminiscing and pondering the present

Lately I've been meeting a lot of people who have come from broken families. Parents are divorced, separated, or just gone. Parents who didn't treat their children well, people who didn't/don't get along with their parents. And sitting here on my front porch, watching a few of my younger siblings playing together with their friends, Mom and Dad inside preparing for us all to go to my cousins' grandmother's retirement party; and thinking about how much fun we all have together -- all ten of us...well...I'm blessed beyond conception! And that's an understatement! A big one! I mean -- could it be much better than this? I mean, my family's not perfect -- we have our rought times -- the times that we just can't stand each other...but every family has hard times. But we are family. Deep down we all love each other. Behind all the teasing, whining, grumbling, and annoying each other, we love. I know I have a place here. I know there are people here who want to take care of me. My older younger sister is one of my very best friends -- literally, even though we have just about nothing in common. One of my brothers and I can have a blast hanging out together. And I can easily decide to take my two youngest siblings out for lunch, or even shopping in general (they like giving their opinions :-D). My parents love us and each other. My dad wants to do a special project with each of us -- He and Nick are building a guitar, I think he and Vincent are doing that, too, he and Rebekah are going to fix up a car. My parents are supporting us in our potential live endeavors -- putting me through NPTI, Nick in college, Rebekah through college and Cosmetology school, C.J. in gymnastics, Vincent in Karate, plus other little activities -- oh yeah, supporting me in buying a car -- even helping out with the cost a little. I should say they're supporting me in heading into the adult world, considering I'll kind of be in it before many of my friends -- helping me learn how to support myself and be responsible.

And I stand in awe when I think about it all. Who am I that God should bless me so greatly? Why aren't my parents divorced? Why don't my parents abuse me? Why do my parents love me? Why do I have so many wonderful siblings? Why do we have love for each other? Why wasn't I born on the other side of the world in a place no better than a sewer? Why do I have more than enough food? Why do I have money left over? Why...? Why? Who am I? God, thank You -- what would I be if it were any other way? It's...it's inconceivable! It's...breathtaking. It is a blessing I am unworthy of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home