More than Church and Morals

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Yesterday is a promise received

Last night something amazing happened.

Sara invited me to join her women's accountability group. They meet at Starbuck's in Leesburg on Wednesday nights around 8:30pm. Tonight was the first time I had joined them.

While we were talking I looked behind Leslie at a woman sitting by herself in one of those comfy chairs. Brow furrowed, her lips moved. I wondered if she was praying. Then I saw her turn a page and realized she was reading. I sat up straighter to see the book, and noticed that it was a Bible. I suddenly had a thought, and began rummaging through my backpack, looking for something specific. Finally, I found it: one of those "pass-along" cards from Christian Bookstore. It was bright yellow with a smiley face on it, and big letters at the bottom that said, "This smile is for you." and in smaller letters below that, "Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say rejoice." (a verse in Philipians). I let the three ladies with me in on what I was thinking, and whether I should write something on it or just give it to her. We decided to just give it to her. So I got up, walked over, and placed it on her Bible. "This is for you." She looked up (before that she hadn't acknowledged me), and somewhat surprised but pleased, she smiled and said, "Thanks."

I walked back to our table, just 5 feet away, and reclaimed my seat. The woman read the card, and then looked up, I could tell she had something to say. We gave her our attention and, to our amazement she lifted her Bible slightly and said, "I'm reading in Philipians." We were all like, "Wow, that's so cool!"

We managed to continue our talking, and then later, as she was leaving, she stopped by our table and asked what church we went to. We told her, she told us where she goes, and she mentioned that she's been feeling lead to change churches - just that God wants her somewhere else. She said she was thinking about going to Joshua Harris' church in MD, Covenant Bible or something like that (I could be waaay off), and mentioned that their worship leader was formerly part of the group Glad. So, naturally, I had to mention that, "Oh that's cool. Our worship leader was part of that group, too!" Come to find out, she was planning on calling him soon to get his opinion on some things, see if he could help her out because she knew the people in Glad back when they were still a group.

We waved goodbye and said maybe we'd see her if she ever visited RBC or happened to be at Starbuck's at the same time again. In all the excitement, we almost forgot to get her name. But as she was walking away I called out to her. Vickie. I must remember that for if we ever see her again. I'm so glad God used us to encourage her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home