More than Church and Morals

Saturday, October 20, 2007

"I am in the Father, and the Father in Me"

In searching for certain verses, my eyes were opened when I stumbled upon John 14:7-11:
" 'If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.'
Philip said to Him, 'Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.'
Jesus said to him, 'Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; so how can you say, "Show us the Father"? Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.' "
You know how a lot of adults with children say, "I swore I'd never say/do such and such to my children, but now I find myself saying/doing the same things my parents did."? And you know the saying, "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree"? When you are constantly around someone, you begin to act like each other in certain ways. Sometimes you pick up on their quirks, their habits, sometimes you begin to talk or sound like them, etc. You can often say about someone, "If you want to know what this person is like, get to know so-and-so." Even more than that, parent and child share DNA. There is something from each parent in the child, and therefore something from the child in each of the parents. They are literally in each other. They often have the same habits, expressions, characteristics, etc. In movies, when a main character's parent has died, it is often said to that main character, "I see so much of your father/mother in you." Therefore, to know the child is to know the parent, as Jesus was telling His disciples in this section. Therefore, to know Jesus is to know God. And as Jesus says in John 14:1, "...you believe in God, believe also in Me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home