More than Church and Morals

Monday, October 31, 2016

Torn

I think I have been reading and researching and praying more during this election than any I've been part of before. This is the first election I have truly struggled with the decision. Part of that is being more aware, as well as knowing more about the world and what the Bible says. It's also because, at least as a Christian, there is no clear choice.

Do I vote for the "lesser of two evils"? And who decides what and whom that is? Do I vote for a third party even though they won't win? Is that wasting my vote? Is that rebelling? Do I choose not to vote at all? Is that irresponsible or disrespectful?

Everywhere I turn there are haters for every decision. If I look to people to make my choice for me, I am a horrible person and an idiot whether I vote for Clinton, Trump, third party, or don't vote at all. I hear that if Clinton wins, it's the end of religious freedom for Christians. If Trump wins, it's the end of progress. If I vote for a third party I don't love my minority friends. And if I don't vote at all I am a horrible excuse for an American, disrespecting and disregarding the people who lost their lives fighting for my right to vote. Some even say this is true if I vote for a third party: since they won't win, it's as if I didn't vote, or that it's a vote for the winner, and I'm still to blame. So much fear and judgement going around, and no absolute right answer as far as people are concerned.

It seems to me that voting the last few terms has often been more out of fear than a firm belief in the other candidate. "Vote for ______, this other person MUST NOT WIN!" The world runs on fear and bullying, which could also be a response to fear. The Bible tells me, "There is no fear in love; for fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love." (1 John 4:18)

I am still unsure as to where my vote shall land, but I will continue praying and seeking the only Opinion that matters to me.

"Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; 
But we will remember the name of the LORD our God." 
Psalm 20:7

Time is running out, come save
Death is creeping in, come save
We humble ourselves and seek Your face,
Pour out Your mercy, like rain

Your sons and Your daughters cry for You
The waves of the waters reach for You
And all of creation rises up and screams out Your name
Oh Lord, come save

Addicted to our pride, come save
Consumed in self-delight, come save
Break us and free us from these chains
We desperately need Your grace

Your sons and Your daughters cry for You
The waves of the waters reach for You
And all of creation rises up and screams out Your name
Oh Lord,

Come awaken us from our sleep
Come bring us to our knees
Come whisper truth in our ears
Come save

Your sons and Your daughters cry for You
The waves of the waters reach for You
And all of creation rises up and screams out Your name
Oh Lord, come save
(Sarah Reeves, Come Save)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home