More than Church and Morals

Monday, February 15, 2010

Better to Have Loved and Lost, than to Never Have Loved at All

Looking back, on the mem'ry of
The dance we shared b'neath the stars above
For a moment, all the world was right
How could I have known that you'd ever say, "Good-bye"?

And now, I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end
The way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance
I could have missed the pain
But I'da had to miss the dance

Holding you, I held everything
For a moment, wasn't I the king?
But if I'd only known how the key would fall
Then, who's to say, you know I might have changed it all

And now, I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end
The way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance
I could have missed the pain
But I'da had to miss the dance

Yes, my life is better left to chance
I could have missed the pain
But I'da had to miss the dance

But I haven't lost. I never will, no matter what happens.

Everyone who knows what I'm talking about, save two, have essentially told me to worry about a bunch of "what if's". "What if he gets engaged?" "What if he marries someone else?" "What if you're wrong?"

What if I'm not? What if I'm not wrong, and I take all those other "What if's" to heart? What if I marry someone else simply to please everyone else who are so worried about me... so I'm not single for the rest of my life, and then find out I've jumped the gun? What if...what if. There are a lot of those.

James 1:6 (second half), and 8 say, "...for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind....he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways." The context of these verses is asking God for wisdom, and trusting Him to give it to liberally, as is the promise.

I am unstable in many ways -- because I am so quick to assume that I'm wrong; to allow others to think for me, or assume that they know more about God and His word simply because they state their belief with authority.

I know what I heard. Whether it was God or my imagination is the question everyone wants the answer to, and everyone assumes they know -- including me. The truth is that the truth will be revealed in due time, and no one but God is going to reveal it. We could engage in a battle of "What if's" until the Son of God returns, but none of the "What if's" are any more likely than the others. They're all equally "What if's". Possibilities. Potential outcomes. Nothing more.

The general majority of people who know what I'm talking about, believe that I'm mistaken. That doesn't make it true. God doesn't take a poll or survey to determine which way He goes. In fact, in my experience, He chooses the route that no one even thought of as a possibility, proving that He's far more creative that we are. What other possible outcomes there could be in this case, I've no idea. Perhaps there is only a "Right" or "Wrong" ultimately, but He has a completely creative plan of execution. Only He knows, which is why only He can change my mind.

1 Comments:

At 4:42 PM , Blogger Marie said...

P.S. This is partially as a reminder to myself, partially an attempt to explain where I'm coming from.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home