More than Church and Morals

Friday, March 14, 2008

I googled me

So, from a facebook note I got a funny idea: google myself. So I typed in my name and clicked "I'm feeling lucky" to see what would happen. It took me immediately to a Massachusettes Catholic school website. The Principle is Sister Marie Baldi. So I decided to post it here, just because I found it interesting and actually even somewhat encouraging that someone in Milton, MA who has my name is doing amazing things for the glory of God.

"When Sister Marie Baldi went to Catholic schools in New York City in the late 1950’s and 60’s, all the teachers were sisters. When she started teaching at a Catholic elementary school in East Harlem in 1974, about half the teachers were sisters.Now, as principal of St. Michael’s School in Fall River, MA, she is the only sister there, and one of less than a dozen remaining in the Diocese of Fall River’s Catholic schools. It hasn’t dampened her enthusiasm.“As a child, I loved school. I used to go home and play school and teach my younger brothers, sisters and cousins. I enjoyed it,” she said. “I still do. I look forward to coming every single day.”The Holy Union Sisters who taught her in elementary school made an impression that lasted.“They were kind. You could see that they gave so much of themselves to their students. We were important to them. And that’s what I want to do for my students. I know every one of my students by name. And they know me,” she said.They don’t necessarily know what she’s about, though. For most students, seeing someone who has made a lifelong commitment to religious life is not only beyond their understanding, it’s beyond their experience. But Sister Marie tries to make her calling connect.“Last year I renewed my vows at one of the Masses with the students, just so they would know what religious life is about,” she said.Holy Union Sisters like Sister Marie renew their vows each year on March 25, the Feast of the Annunciation of the Lord, when Mary said “yes” to God’s request that she be the mother of God. Last March, Sister Marie renewed her vows at a 10 a.m. weekday mass at St. Michael’s Church, next door to the school.Sister Marie emphasized how much she values the quality and commitment of the lay teachers on her staff who work for low pay. “Our lay teachers are so dedicated to Catholic education. If you’re in a Catholic school, you have to be dedicated to what you’re doing,” she said.But she noted that being a woman religious allows more of a single-mindedness. “My religious commitment frees me to be able to do so many things and give so much time to my ministry.” "

1 Comments:

At 12:48 AM , Blogger dog_and_boy said...

Wow, that is really awesome! Your name has many noble bearers, then!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home