More than Church and Morals

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Strangely Dim

In the office Bible study this evening we talked about Heaven and Hell, and I was struck, as I always am when I really think about Heaven, with the literally breath-taking thought that one day I will be in Heaven. One day. And there's no going back. This world, this life -- with all it's worries, troubles, fears, and strivings -- will be gone for good. Can you imagine?! All these little things we worry about -- the person in front of us going below the speed limit, the possibility of being spoken harshly to, the intense planning for the futures we don't know for sure that we have -- they are nothing, literally nothing, "compaired to the glory which will be revealed in us." Why do I care if someone's not very happy that I gave them a reminder call when they don't need one? Or sent them letters or gave them "We Miss You" calls that they didn't want? Why do I care if I don't get to my destination in record time? Why do I care so much about things that are so miniscule!..and then pretty much wave off those things which are important: like reaching out to others in love, talking to unbelievers about God and faith and eternity, or encouraging believers to continue on in hope, striving after my God with my whole heart, soul, and mind. Why is it more important to me to let this guy know that I love him than it is to rescue a floundering soul from a just-as-real eternity in Hell? If this guy never loves me the same again, will my life be over? Will I be without a purpose? No! My purpose is first, devotion to God, and secondly to whoever it is the Lord strays my way. In the end, so many things don't matter. They really don't! What good will $100,000 do you when you're standing before Almighty God, a cheater. "All things are open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account." In the end, we'll be required to give an account of everything we ever did. Will you be telling a story worth listening to, or rambling on about how the glass fell and shattered into a million pieces leaving the floor soaked in spilt milk?

"Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of the earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace."

Our troubles are not worthy to be compaired to the glory that will be revealed in us! "For our light and momentary affliction is achieving for us a glory that far outweighs them all!" What does that tell you?!

Think about Heaven, really think about it: one day, we won't be here anymore. Think about it: we will not live here on this earth forever. We ARE going to die one day. Imagine it: eternity! Now isn't that a much longer time than even 1000 years?

Are you ready?

1 Comments:

At 10:34 PM , Blogger CrisB said...

Thank you for your blog! I really look up to your strong faith and seemingly boundless knowledge. What you've said made me think. I like that.
Thanks again!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home