More than Church and Morals

Saturday, March 04, 2006

I wrote this awhile ago, but felt like it should be posted. I would like it if it could fit it in the "About Me" section, I don't believe I could be explained in a better way.

He Did it for Me
Oh, I inwardly moaned, This part, I hate this part!
I clenched my teeth against the tears that pricked my eyes as one of Jesus’ arms was stretched straight out against one arm of the cross.
I bit down harder when a nail was pressed against Jesus’ hand and my eyes threatened to spill over.
Up until this point, I had made it through "The Passion," feeling mainly only anger at what was being done to my Savior. Even when they were beating Jesus I wanted to do nothing more than wring their necks for what they were doing. Or maybe I was too horrified at what was happening to cry. Either way I still wanted to wring their necks.
I had been warned about the beating and that I might not want to watch, but I had no intention of turning my eyes away or closing them. I watched the whole thing with barely more than a blink or rush of anger.
But when that nail was put to Jesus’ hand, the anger suddenly drained away. In its place came the undeserving feeling of, "He did that for me!"
The first time that hammer came down on the nail on Jesus’ hand, a sob nearly escaped my mouth. I clenched my jaw still harder and held my breath against my sobs. Even with all my efforts my lip still quivered and the tears at last coursed down my cheeks. My shoulders shook with every inward sob and it took all my effort to keep those, at least, at bay.
With every strike of the hammer and cry of anguish I was reminded of what my God went through just so I, a low-down no-good wanderer who deserved nothing less than eternity in Hell, could one day spend eternity with Him in paradise.
It gets me every time.
By the time Jesus was placed in His grave my face was almost dry. And when Jesus got up and walked by, and His wound was shown close up, I grinned. In fact, I couldn’t stop grinning as I left the movie theatre room.
My Jesus is alive, and by His stripes I am healed. Amen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home